Getting Withholdings Right This Tax Year

In most situations, the tax withheld from your pay will be close to the tax you figure on your return – if you follow these two rules.

  • You accurately complete all the Form W-4 worksheets that apply to you.
  • You give your employer a new Form W-4 when changes occur.

But because the worksheets and withholding methods do not account for all possible situations, you may not be getting the right amount withheld. This is most likely to happen in the following situations:

  • You are married and both you and your spouse work.
  • You have more than one job at a time.
  • You have nonwage income, such as interest, dividends, alimony, unemployment compensation, or self-employment income.
  • You will owe additional amounts with your return, such as self-employment tax.
  • Your withholding is based on obsolete Form W-4 information for a substantial part of the year.
  • Your earnings are more than $130,000 if you are single or $180,000 if you are married.
  • You work only part of the year.
  • You change the number of your withholding allowances during the year.

If you need help downloading Form W-4 or have questions on how to fill it out properly, give us a call. We’re happy to help.

RC Holsinger Associates, P.C. – June 2011 Newsletter

This entry was posted in Recent News & Updates. Bookmark the permalink.